Saturday 17 September 2011

black-green sea


 the clouds rolling in looked ominous, but the rain held off. The sea was a colour I've never seen it - black and green with sand and seaweed. warm wind and soft sand.  swimming was unthinkable. 
this is one of my all time favourite pictures - we made good friends with the kids on the left, but the beautiful women on the right were just having a normal day out at the beach, in all their bright, glittery shalwar kameez outfits. getting wet and not minding at all



this was one of my favourite days in India, for some reason. We built amazing sandcastles and made friends with some incredibly creative kids. They really inspired me - on arrival they immediately started collecting up rubbish from the beach, and turned it into beautiful scapes in the sand. I wish I'd taken better pictures of their intense play - ice cream sticks became street lights, paper plates were houses, sea weed gardens.  I think it was extra nice because in India I didn't see kids doing much free play; allowed to get a bit dirty (even pick up rubbish!) so that made me very happy.

we played with the girl to our right for a while in a playground. she then rushed off and bought Janu an ice cream! This is but one of the many times we experienced such generosity and kindness from almost-strangers.   we were regularly humbled by this.

No comments: